Village History - Shouldham Thorpe

From William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883


SHOULDHAM-THORPE, anciently called Garbois-Thorpe, is a scattered village, on rising ground, nearly 5 miles N.E. of Downham, in Downham union and county court district, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Lynn bankruptcy district, Downham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 278 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1430 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1877 5s.


Thomas L. Hare, Esq., is chief owner of the soil, and lord of the manor; and the rest belongs to Sir A. T. Bagge, Bart., The Rev. S. Allen, D.D., and a few smaller owners. About a mile N. of the village is the small manor of Fodderston, or Foston Gap, anciently a separate parish belonging to the Abbot of Ely, but now belonging to T. L. Hare, Esq., who is also impropriator of the tithes.

The appearance of the village has been much improved during the last few years by the erection of handsome cottages in the place of several old ones which have been pulled down.